In the fifth chapter of Livy’s work, we see Romulus escape capture, Remus taken for punishment to the King, and the assassination of the treacherous usurper Amulius. Here is my brief summary of chapter 5 of the first books – enjoy 🙂
- Romulus and Remus were celebrating the festival of Lupercalia – founded by Evander, an Arcadian who had previously occupied the area – on the Palatine hill
- Remember the brothers were fighting and stealing? Well, the brigands came to take revenge and managed to capture Remus. Romulus is not caught.
- Remus had been raiding his grandfather, Numitor’s lands, and had not realised who he was attacking as he had never grown to know his exiled grandfather.
- Fastaulus, the farmer that had found the boys with the wolf and cared for them through their childhood, knew that the boys were of royal blood
- So Fastaulus told Romulus that he was descended from royalty
- At about the same time, Numitor realised that the one boy he had in custody and his brother (Romulus) were his long-lost grandsons
- Rom and Reme didn’t stand a chance in a pitched battle against Amulius, so they grouped their soldiers…
- …and built a trap…
I hope this helped you! Oh, and Merry Christmas. Not sure why I am doing this on Christmas Day, but oh well.
Get your orders in before the New Year:
Follow me on Instagram and see behind the scenes: