I’ve read a few more chapters of Livy’s great work, the History of Rome. Here is my simple summary of the second chapter of the first book:
- King Turnus of the Rutulians had been betrothed to Lavinia
- Therefore when Aeneas married her, he declared war on Latinus and Aeneas
- A battle takes place…
- Latinus is killed
- Turnus is furious at the loss of the battle and allies with Menzentius, King of the Etruscans
- Menzentius has been worried about the rise of that tiny city, so he willingly agrees to help Turnus
- Aeneas unites all his people as “Latins”
- The battle is won for the Latins, but Aeneas is killed
- Aeneas is buried by the Numicius
If you liked this extremely brief and simple summary, share it with your friends! The History of Rome is a very interesting to read manuscript. I highly recommend you give it a try.
As I read more, I’ll note things down in following blog posts.